The rain has already begun in Wilmington and the it looks like we can expect quite a bit more rain over the weekend. A flood warning is currently in effect and road closures and delays are already being reported. We’ve gathered the latest information on Wilmington notices, the forecast, road conditions, school dismissals and local events below.
- Wilmington is expected to receive 7-10 inches of rain this weekend.
- A flood warning for New Hanover County has been issued from October 2nd beginning at 9:55 AM lasting until October 5th, at 1:27 AM.
- New Hanover County Officials say Storm Surge, Overwash, and Coastal Flooding will impact the area’s beaches.
- New Hanover County has declared a state of emergency effective at 6:00 PM, today, October 2nd.
(Image via readync.org)
- All Columbus County schools will be released early today, October 2nd. The early dismissal will be at 12:00 PM.
- New Hanover Schools are operating on regular hours.
- Whiteville City Schools will be released early today, October 2nd. The early dismissal is scheduled for 12:30 PM.
- Pender County Schools will release students two hours early, today, October 2nd.
- Brunswick County Schools are dismissing students early today, October 2nd. The high school is releasing students at 11:45 AM, middle school students at 12:00 PM and elementary school students at 12:45 PM
- “Turn around, don’t drown” public service announcements are airing. Avoid driving in flooded areas.
- New Hanover County: The 6200 block of Murrayville Road is flooded and is being reported as currently impassible. The 6700 block of Amsterdam Way and 500 block of Old Mill Road in Castle Hayne are reportedly flooded, but open. An earlier accident on northbound College Road at the MLK intersection is reported to be cleared. Leland traffic is reportedly backed up heading into Wilmington.
- Brunswick County: Dorsey Lane, Jamestown Road, Ash Little River Road, and NC 133 (River Road) near the Olde Fort Golf Course are currently reported as flooded.
- Pender County: Flooding has been reported in the Stag Park area, on Highway 50 near the Pender-Duplin County line, in the 1500 block of Highway 210, on Shaw Highway near 210 in Rocky Point, and in parts of Herrings Chapel Road
- Riverfest has been postponed.
- Run for the Tatas has been postponed to Saturday, October 10th.
- Art in the Arborteum in Wilmington has been postponed until October 9-11.
- Beach Sweep at Carolina Beach has been postponed until October 17th.
- Family Fun Day at The Children’s Museum of Wilmington has been postponed until May.
- The Garden Party at Greenfield Lake in Wilmington has been postponed.
- The Salvation Army Golf Tournament has been rescheduled to October 19th.
More event closures and postponements in the area can be found here.
Anything we missed? Share with us in the comments below and on our Facebook Page. We hope everyone stays safe and dry this weekend.